- Name: Johannes Buchner
- Hobbies: Swimming, Volleyball, Hiking, Martial arts, Juggling
- 2019-: Postdoctoral researcher at MPE.
- 2019: Research visitor at Harvard/Smithsonian CfA (2 months).
- 2015-2018: Postdoctoral fellowship at PUC/Chile. Awarded a FONDECYT fellowship (3 years).
- 2011-2015: Astrophysics doctoral program in Garching bei München
at the Max Planck for extraterrestrial Physics (MPE), High energy/AGN group
Awarded Max Planck doctoral stipend.
- 2009-2011: MSc degree in computer science at AUT University (New Zealand),
at the IRASR radio telescope institute (research in preparation for SKA).
Awarded Kordia scholarship.
- 2006-2009: Studied software engineering at the TU Vienna and
astronomy at the University of Vienna.
Awarded merit scholarship.
- 2021: Lecturer in the BiD4BEST astrostatistics workshop
- 2019: X-ray spectroscopy workshop (organiser and lecturer)
- 2019: Training graduate students in research methods, statistics, advanced programming.
- 2017-2018: Mentoring PUC undergraduate student C. Simmonds. Published a paper (XZ). Now a PhD student in Geneva.
- 2010: Lecturing/Tutoring in AUT University "Foundations of Physics A" course,
60 students; Tutoring in "Physical database systems"
- 2009/4 mnths: Uni Vienna, Stellar Astronomy group: MCMC sampler for Bayesian inference
- 2008: Tutor for "Theoretical Computer Science and Logic", 4 classes/20 students each
- 2002-2008: Various summer internships in electronics/software companies
Porsche Informatik, SkiData, Uni Linz, Spar and others
Grants & Fellowships
- 2015: Awarded FONDECYT post-doctoral fellowship at PUC, 3 years (ca 100,000 USD).
- 2011: Awarded Max Planck doctoral stipend at MPE in 2011, 3.5 years (ca 60,000 USD).
- 2010: Awarded Kordia Scholarship for second MSc year at AUT University.
- 2008: Awarded Leistungsstipendium (merit stipend) by University of Vienna.
Talks and workshops
see Talks and Workshops page
see Publications page
see Outreach page
I regularly referee for ApJ, A&A and MNRAS, and recently also for Nature Astronomy, and commented on PhD & BSc theses.
I am among the most active members of the Astrostatistics Facebook group (4438 members).
I regularly answer statistics questions emailed to me by colleagues world-wide, in particular related to PyMultiNest.
Within the institute (PUC previously and MPE), I actively make myself available as a resource to consulting on topics related to statistics,
computing and astrophysics.
Selected Software Projects
- NWAY: Powerful method to cross-match multiple catalogues
- XARS: X-ray Monte Carlo simulator for reflection spectroscopy
- PyMultiNest: Pythonic MultiNest interface and analysis (Python).
- BXA: Bayesian X-ray analysis (spectral analysis for xspec/sherpa, using PyMultiNest)
- APEMoST: Fast, self-configuring MCMC Sampler (ANSI C).
- Jake: Distributed, XMPP-based folder synchronization (Java).
• Lead developer, project leader; Developed in a group of six students (9 months).
- 2006-2010: Patches and Bugtracking for Open Source projects: Videolan VLC, Pidgin, evince.
- 2005/06: Mozilla Foundation (6 months): IRC-Support, Bug-Squadding for
Firefox, Thunderbird, Calendar; developer of several extensions
- Fluent in English, spoken and written. German as mother-tongue. Basic Spanish.
- Programming languages: C/C++, Java, Prolog, Haskell, Visual Basic
- Scientific packages: Scipy, R, Matlab, Maxima, Wolfram-Alpha, IDL
- Hydrodynamic Simulations: Analysis of EAGLE and Illustris simulations, N-body simulations.
- Databases: Multiple years of experience with MySQL and Oracle DB (10-11); SQL; XML
- FOSS, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD. Competent knowledge of the operating systems and use as server.
Extensive knowledge of applications, configuration and networking, Cisco certified.